Forage Samplers for Hay and Silage
Universal and Uni-Forage samplers are designed to hold 1 core at a time. These are ideal if you want to visually inspect the core from each bale or if you prefer a large core size. These samplers have the 22mm (7/8”) diameter cutting tip.
Multi-Forage samplers have a canister or bag which conveniently holds the cores from several bales. This feature means you don’t have to carry an extra container with you to collect your sample cores. If you are taking lots of sample cores, Multi samplers are more time efficient. The smaller 12 mm (15/32″) or 14 mm (9/16″) diameter cutting tip size means that you can usually collect 20 cores and put the composite sample into a bag and send to the lab without further sub-sampling.
STAR UNIVERSAL FORAGE SAMPLER
Use for: silage piles and bags baleage hay
UNIVERSAL probe $560
KIT 2 m $960
KIT 3 m $1240
KIT 4 m $1510
KIT 5 m $1775 ; see price list for more options
Although originally designed for silage sampling, it works great for silage and hay bales as well as regular round or square dry bales, hence the name UNIVERSAL. It uses the Star 22 mm (7/8″) diameter cutting tip. The probe has a larger ID to reduce the friction of the sample inside. This makes for easy removal of most samples. Because this sampler is used on many different forages of varying moisture contents, we recommend you first try taking a sample of about 50 cm (20″). If it is easy to remove that sample, you can then try deeper samples as long as you can remove them easily. Take particular care if you are dealing with a forage that has a high resin content or leaves a sticky residue.
Each Universal sampler comes with a plastic push-out rod (with hand protector), drill attachment for 13 mm (1/2″) drill and a protective cap for the cutting tip. It is built strong to handle the high torque required for deep sampling. The spiral assist helps pull the sampler in and push it out of the forage reducing operator fatigue.
Extensions 1 m (39″) long can be added to take samples from as deep as you need. The extensions connect to each other with square spring pins just like the drill connect attaches to the probe. There is nothing protruding to catch on the forage being sampled. The square spring pins can be removed for cleaning, if necessary, with a hex key (hex key provided).
The Universal sampler can be purchased individually or as part of a Kit. Kits include a plastic carrying case, an extra cutting tip and a slide-bar with socket that can be used to remove the sampler if your drill runs out of power.
An “ice-auger” type crank handle is available upon request for the UNIVERSAL sampler. Because it requires a lot of physical effort if used in high moisture forage, we only recommend it in special circumstances.
STAR UNI-FORAGE SAMPLERS
An excellent tool for rapid visual inspection of forages. When used to collect a sample to submit for lab analyses, you will end up with a larger sample than the lab wants if you take the recommended minimum 15-20 samples per lot of forage. Be sure to sub-sample properly to get a representative sample. (This is described in our Related Info section.) Samplers feature stainless steel tubing and the original Star Cutting Tip. Uni-Forage samplers provide a 22 mm (7/8″) diameter core sample and can be custom built up to 152 cm (5′) in length. Available in drill-driven, T-handle manual and manual crank handle models.
DRILL-DRIVEN SPIRAL-ASSIST UNI-FORAGE SAMPLER
Use for: hay baleage silage bales
- For rapid and efficient sampling with cordless drills.
- Features Star’s unique sprial-assist probe for coring ease and the replaceable Star Cutting Tip.
- Standard 45 cm (18″) probe length (can be custom built up to 152 cm (60″)).
- 13 mm (1/2″) drill attachment is standard. The Quick Attach Pin is very safe with no rotating sharp points to catch on clothing or skin.
Can be used with the “ice auger” style crank for those who do not want to use a drill.
Star Spiral Assist
- Standard feature on all Star drill-driven forage samplers
- Provides quicker coring with ease and efficiency
- Extends life of cutting tip edge and drill battery
PUSH TYPE UNI-FORAGE SAMPLER
Use for: hay
- Light weight T-handle with quick-release cotter pin for easy collection of sample.
- Standard 46 cm (18″) probe length [can be custom built up to 152 cm (60″)].
- Features the replaceable Star Cutting Tip
Can be used with the “ice auger” style crank which requires less physical effort than the T-handle.
- Requires significantly less effort than the T-handle without requiring a drill.
- Can be used on any UNI sampler with or without spiral assist. It uses the same quick attachment as the T-handle Uni or the drill-driven Uni. (We also make them with a 12 mm socket which will fit the drill attachment for all our drill driven samplers.)
- Has 2 hand holds for control and comfort. You can push with your body as well.
- It is 53 cm (21″) long so it does require more room to operate than the T-handle or a drill.
STAR MULTI-FORAGE SAMPLERS
Excellent tools for obtaining representative core samples for laboratory analyses. Star Multi-Forage Samplers take a 12 mm (15/32″) core and allow for continuous sampling of 20 bales or more to provide a composite sample which is collected in a canister/sampling container.
DRILL-DRIVEN CLEAR PVC CANISTER MULTI-FORAGE SAMPLER
Use for: hay balege silage bales/bags
- This sampler is designed for taking samples from high moisture (silage, haylage) bales as well as dry hay bales. There is extra room inside the probe to make it easier to remove the wet forage from the probe.
- The canister holds up to 2 liters (1/2 gallon) so you can take up to 15-20 samples 61 cm (24″) deep, or 20 samples 40-46 cm (16-18″) deep or 40 samples 15-20cm (6-8″) deep.
- The 61 cm (24″) stainless steel probe has a spiral assist to reduce operator fatigue.
- It has sealed bearings for smooth operation and to avoid corrosion by silage juices.
- It has a replaceable Star cutting tip 14 mm (9/16″) in diameter. It can be sharpened and is replaceable by removing a set screw.
- Easy to clean by removing both the top and bottom caps.
- The Push-out rod can be stored inside the probe and secured with an elastic strap that is attached to the canister. The same elastic strap can be used to hold a plastic bag to the canister if you want to fill directly into a sample bag. When not in use, the elastic strap wraps around the canister and is held out of the way with Velcro.
- Rugged construction to handle heavy-duty use.